More information and advice on HIV and the law

The HIV charity NAM produces this website and also publishes information in various other forms. You can find other resources covering these topics, and others relating to social and legal aspects of living with HIV, on

The Terrence Higgins Trust, another UK HIV charity, publishes a website called You can find information on your rights on this website. THT’s helpline, THT Direct, provides direct support and advice on all HIV-related issues. It is available from 10am until 8pm, Monday to Friday. You can contact it by phone on 0808 802 1221. For advice any time, contact by email at

The National AIDS Trust has information on many of these topics, including guidance for people living with HIV. You can find these on its website at

The Equality and Human Rights Commission works to eliminate discrimination and protect human rights. There is a lot of information on their website, and they also have helplines in England, Wales and Scotland. They may be able to offer you specialist information and advice on your rights at work, or in accessing health care or housing, for example.

The Citizens Advice Adviceguide website can provide general information about help available in legal matters. (Make sure you look at the information relating to the country in the UK where you live.) You can find your local CAB on the website as well.

Immigration information and advice

You can get advice on immigration from the Adviceguide published by Citizens Advice(make sure you look at the site relevant to the country in the UK where you are living)or by contacting your local CAB. The CAB website also provides information on where to get help with immigration issues.

You can find a directory of lawyers (solicitors) who specialise in immigration on the ILPA (Immigration Lawyers Practitioners’ Association) website, as well as information on immigration law and practice.

The Refugee Council offers advice and support to all refugees and asylum seekers in the United Kingdom. For more information about their services, which includes telephone advice lines in some areas, go to the Refugee Council's website.

Law centres nearly always have a worker who specialises in immigration. Law centres generally have fairly strict catchment areas, so it is important to check whether a law centre in the area will be able to take on a case. Sometimes, the catchment area will include people who either live or work in the area.

If the law centre can offer advice and representation in immigration cases, it will be free.

You can find out about your local law centres on the Law Centres Network website.

There is information available on the immigration process and support available on the UK Border Agency website at

The charity Doctors of the World's Project London provides information, advice and practical assistance to vulnerable people to help them access NHS and other services. You can contact it on 020 7515 7534.

Contact NAM to find out more about the scientific research and information used to produce this section.

This content was checked for accuracy at the time it was written. It may have been superseded by more recent developments. NAM recommends checking whether this is the most current information when making decisions that may affect your health.
Community Consensus Statement on Access to HIV Treatment and its Use for Prevention

Together, we can make it happen

We can end HIV soon if people have equal access to HIV drugs as treatment and as PrEP, and have free choice over whether to take them.

Launched today, the Community Consensus Statement is a basic set of principles aimed at making sure that happens.

The Community Consensus Statement is a joint initiative of AVAC, EATG, MSMGF, GNP+, HIV i-Base, the International HIV/AIDS Alliance, ITPC and NAM/aidsmap