Refugees living with HIV

If you are a refugee living in the UK and are HIV positive and your asylum claim has not yet been decided, you can get help with housing and living costs through asylum support (NASS) from the UK Border Agency (UKBA).

Once you have been granted refugee status, humanitarian protection or discretionary leave, you have the same right to work and can get the same benefits and housing as other UK residents.

As soon as you get your status, contact Jobcentre Plus, the Government agency which pays benefits to eligible people. After an initial phone interview, you will usually be sent forms to fill in and will be asked to come into a Jobcentre Plus office for an interview.

At the Jobcentre Plus they will tell you which benefits you are eligible for. If you’re not working you could be eligible for 'out of work' benefits. There are also some benefits which you could get even if you are working. Some benefits are specially designed for people with disabilities and long-term health conditions.

More information for refugees with HIV is found in this factsheet on the NAT website.

This content was checked for accuracy at the time it was written. It may have been superseded by more recent developments. NAM recommends checking whether this is the most current information when making decisions that may affect your health.
Community Consensus Statement on Access to HIV Treatment and its Use for Prevention

Together, we can make it happen

We can end HIV soon if people have equal access to HIV drugs as treatment and as PrEP, and have free choice over whether to take them.

Launched today, the Community Consensus Statement is a basic set of principles aimed at making sure that happens.

The Community Consensus Statement is a joint initiative of AVAC, EATG, MSMGF, GNP+, HIV i-Base, the International HIV/AIDS Alliance, ITPC and NAM/aidsmap